CHILDREN ARE PRECIOUS TO US
We believe it is our responsibility to nurture and to teach children about God's love in a safe and loving environment. Children are welcome to attend anything and everything at John Wesley, which means that they are welcome to stay in the sanctuary during worship.
There is a children’s sermon that sometimes is more interesting than anything else that happens on Sunday Morning. After that, those that choose to can go to Children’s Church. And of course, there is a great nursery that is staffed by well trained and certified workers. The nursery is available for all worship services and for almost everything else that happens around JW. The overflow/private space of the chapel is available if you just need a moment alone with a child, but do not want to miss the service.
AVAILABLE CHILDREN'S PROGRAMS
In order to provide a safe community for children and adults, the church requires all employees and volunteers working with children to comply with specific regulations.
Adults working with children must meet the "Requirements of Employees and Volunteers" and the "Child Protection Guidelines and Procedures" that make up our Safe Sanctuaries Policy. If you have any questions about our Children's Programs, please contact our Director of Children's Ministries, Hope Murphy at email@example.com.
We provide nursery care for children age 6 weeks-3 years for all regular and special worship services, Sunday School, Wednesday Night Out, and other church-wide events and activities. Our nursery staff is CPR/First Aid certified as well as trained and certified in Darkness to Light's Stewards of Children and our Safe Sanctuaries policy.
We offer Sunday School classes for every age level, preschool and elementary, ages 2-5th grade.
Sunday School is offered from 9:45-10:45 each Sunday.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
VBS at JWUMC is held each June and is open to all children ages 4 through 5th grade. VBS is offered one week, Monday-Friday from 9:00AM to noon, and features a performance of participants at a Sunday afternoon performance. Hope to see you there!
All children are welcome in our worship services. Children ages 4 and 5 are invited to participate in Children's Church during the 8:30 and 11:00 services.
Children attend worship in the sanctuary through the Children's Sermon, and then go down to hall to the preschool classroom for Children's Church with a volunteer teacher.
CHILDREN'S CHURCH 2
Offered in the fall each year, Children's Church 2 is for first graders and younger elementary children (who haven't previously completed the class) and is a six week class about the sacraments of Baptism and Communion and serves as a transition between our regular Children's Church Program (for 4 and 5 year olds) and staying in "big church." We ask that children and their parents make a commitment to attend each Sunday in order to get the most from this program.
MAY DAY PLAY DAY
An informal worship service in May involving children, followed by a picnic and games on the church lawn.
JOHN WESLEY YOUTH
John Wesley's youth ministry responds to the social and spiritual needs of our youth by providing fun and meaningful programs, activities, and events. For more information about our youth ministry, please visit our Youth Ministry website or visit our John Wesley Youth Ministry Facebook Page. Additional questions? Contact our Youth Ministries Leader, David Boudolf, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Most of our choir groups meet on Wednesday night during the Wednesday Night Out meal.
- Cherub Choir: This choir is made up of children age 3; meets in Room 109 from 6:00-6:30PM during Wednesday Night Out
- The Wesley Choristers: This choir is made up of children ages 4 years to first grade. They rehearse on Wednesday evenings during Wednesday Night Out. Wednesday Night Out starts in September and runs through May every year. They perform about once a month during morning worship or for special services.
- The Covenant Singers: This choir is made up of children in grades 2-5. They rehearse on Wednesday evenings during Wednesday Night Out and perform periodically during morning worship and for special services. Wednesday Night Out runs from September to May every year.
- The Covenant Ringers: This group is made up of children in grades 2-5. They rehearse the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays in the Sanctuary.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT OUT
Weekly, on-going children's programming on Wednesday nights, in the fall, winter, and spring includes the following:
- a nursery provided for children ages 3 and under beginning at 5:15PM
- Children's Choir Practices
- Children's Video Room: 6:30-8:00PM, staffed by nursery workers
- Kids' Council: 2nd through 5th graders are invited to meet in the Parlor the second Wednesday of each month to plan events, activities, and missions projects (6:00-6:30PM)
- Children's Prayer Team: 2nd through 5th graders are invited to participate in an intercessory prayer team in the Parlor the 4th Wednesday of the month, from 6:00-6:30PM